Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Thankfully, it does not look like this outside today. But I still wanted to post this picture for a few reasons.

One, I adore it. Of course. Anyone who knows me just a little bit would know how much this photo speaks to me. If you enjoy it as much as I do, you should go see the rest of Brian's photos. There are a couple more fantastic blue ones there too, which will likely find their way onto my blog before too long...

Secondly, I wanted to talk about another one of my common dreamscapes, and this photo works well for it.

This particular dreamscape is probably my most common one. I can't be sure of course, but my impression is that the vast majority of my dreams take place here. The "here" is hard to explain. Infact, I can't even talk about what it IS, only what it seems like and feels like and reminds me of.

It's almost like a combination office building/shopping mall/school. Mostly I think it looks like a mall - but the "stores" aren't stores. Sometimes they are classrooms and sometimes they are meeting rooms, and sometimes they are pink and black arcades (random, I know). There are low, small, sets of stairs - like in a mall, four steps beside a ramp and a metal railing. There is one area that is like a food court or a cafeteria. I'm not usually eating there, but there is food around. The tables are dark orange. When I'm there, I'm usually with other people. The aspects of it that remind me of a school, remind me of a highschool - not a university or elementary. Sometimes there these greyish-white +15s. They seem transparent and sterile. And they're not just on the second floor, they go all the way up - connecting most floors to other buildings. When I am in these +15s, the mall/school seems more like a mall/office tower. In this "officey" environment, I am on the top floor, and the walls and ceiling are glass. I can see the people on the top floors of all the other buildings. There are no walls or hallways, it is just open - Full of mingling people in suits.

The weirdest thing about this place (to me) is that it leaves me with this sense of patterns, organization, systems, rules. I don't feel controlled or pressured, it's more of a feeling of things being in their little places, and happening how they should. How they do. When I wake out of these dreams, I am often left with images of charts and graph paper and neat little boxes in neat little shelves.

The story line (or overall emotion) always changes with this setting - Waaaay back in the day (in my teen years), I remember dreaming about this place and feeling like a grown-up. It used to make me excited to get out on my own and be independent. But more recently, the stories have been less vivid. It's like I dream about this place when my subconscious has nothing profound to say. Or maybe it's to say things are clicking along just as they should.

I have university dreams too, but they are entirely different. In my dreams, university is this magical, fantastic place - where everyone is who they want to be, and everyone is able to manifest whatever they imagine. There is lots of art and beauty, silver jewellery and lavendar fabric hanging from waaaaaay high-up.

My university dreamscape reminds me also of a sort-of studio I dream about sometimes. It is like this big dark warehouse, that has all these huge black curtains hanging from so high up, I can't see the tops. This studio is good and creative and magical, but also dark. I think these dreams are usually good, but sometimes there are scary mask-faces behind the curtains. The floor is like that black stage-floor, with the masking tape "X"s, and there are bright hot lights. I don't think I'm a performer in these dreams, but perhaps a creator.

Aaaaanywho, I so didn't mean to talk about 3 different dreamscapes - It just sorta happened. Forgive me???

I'd love to hear if other people dream about places like these. When I get a computer at home again, I think I'll try to find some dream-related bloggers. I KNOW there must be other bloggers out there documenting dreams, and wondering how their dreams differ from others...

Okay, I don't really have time to be rambling on like this - But I'm probably working pretty late tonight, so I don't feel toooo bad about taking a break.

But now it's time to get back. Woo!

No comments: