Monday, September 11, 2006

Ballroom Dancing!

On Sunday, I attended a ballroom dancing class. It was my first, and it was SO much fun. I was completely blown-away by how many people were there. 50? 70? Another amazing thing was that it was almost exactly half-and-half, in terms of men and women. In our first class (there will be 10 in total), we learned the basic ones - Fox Trot and Jive. My guess is that we'll go back to Jiving, because we haven't gone over any turns or anything like that - Just the steps. So far I'm keeping up juuuuuust fine. In fact, I would even go so far as to say I know exactly what I'm doing. But I'm sure I won't by like - next week. :)

We rotated partners frequently, which I thought was a good thing - Because then you don't get stuck with one guy who can't lead for long periods of time. And everyone gets a turn dancing with those who DO know what they're doing, ya know?

So, I just wanted to post SOME kind of update, and I'm pretty excited about my ballroom dancing classes, so there.

The photo I used is a favorite of mine. It speaks differently to me everytime I see it, but I thought it would work for the ballroom dancing post. Yay!

In other news:

1. My date with Rob on Friday was fantastic, yet again - We sat in a restaurant for 5 hours without realizing the time. We just looked up at some point and we were the ONLY ones left in the place, except for all the staff, who were sitting at the bar waiting for us to leave... Ooops. So we left fairly quickly - I apologized to them on the way out, but they were pretty nice about it. And then we spent at least another 15-20 minutes in the parking lot. Teehee. *blush*

2. I've been hoping to get back into yoga for some time, and I think tomorrow I'm going to actually take the plunge. During the 'winter' months, there are yoga classes in my office building on Tuesday and Thursday lunch hours. It's really cheap (works out to like $8/class, which is awesome for yoga), and I know most of the people there, and I've found I really like being active mid-day. This was how I got into yoga in the first place, and I was primarily shocked at how yoga both relaxed AND energized me, and then was completely wowed by how quickly I noticed a change in my body and mind. This class got me so interested that I joined a studio by my home and started attending 3 night classes a week. You can imagine what 5 yoga classes a week would do for someone who had previously had little to no regular exercise. I got into amazing shape, and stayed there for almost a year. Unfortunately when my mom died, I got back into old, lazy patterns. I've been working on changing them back for some time. But I can't afford my local yoga studio anymore, and I tried jogging - but it didn't stick. Tried weight training, but it didn't stick. Tried quite a few things... So that is why I'm going to do my best to get back into it the same way I was drawn-in to begin with. I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow afternoon... Probably. :)

1 comment:

Katherine said...

We are dancing queens!