Friday, September 22, 2006

Merry Mabon!

Today (exact at 10:03 pm MST) is the Sabbat Mabon. What is Mabon, you ask? Mabon is one of the 8 points on the wheel of the year, according to Celtic tradition. I am not Celtic, nor am I a witch, but I like to follow the wheel of the year, because I feel it keeps me in touch with my environment, and sensitive to the changes of season. It makes me feel like I know the earth on a more 'personal' level.

Mabon is the second of the three harvest festivals, and is often thought of as Witches' Thanksgiving. Celebration of this Sabbat includes feasting and giving thanks. Many who acknowledge this day will go out of their way to do a favor for a friend or family member, or do some extra volunteer work.

In the wheel of the year, Mabon is the point at which day and night measure equally. For the next 6 months, the night will be longer than the day.

Though I don't practise very much magic any more, I do still tend to hold small, solitary rituals on the Sabbats. I will usually take a moment (15 minutes or so) to just acknowledge the moment in time. I will light two candles (one white and one black, to symbolize the balance between light and dark), and say a small sort-of prayer. I will look back over the last 1/8 year (since the last Sabbat), and look forward towards the next Sabbat, which is my favorite one of them all - Samhain.

No comments: