Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Excited New-Job Rambling


This morning I started the transition from my current job, to my new position as Pipeline Technical and Regulatory Advisor. Oooh la la, how fancy does THAT sound? I must admit - I'm excited to order business cards.

The guy I'm switching jobs with says that my new manager is the best boss he's ever worked for. He admits that he's worked for some terrible people, but says that Allan is a REALLY fantastic supervisor. So - Hooray!!! I got a good vibe off of him when I was talking to him too - He even told me I'd fit right in if I have cats. Teehee.

So, basically it's like this: The job I've been doing for the past 4 years (I can't believe it's been that long!) is 10% administrative, and 90% technical (regulatory). The regulatory stuff I've been doing was Sandra's responsibility, I was just helping to lighten her workload, basically. But Sandra also had engineering duties.

So now Sandra has moved to Houston, and her engineering stuff went to one of the engineers in our group, and this guy Ryan is taking over her regulatory stuff. But since he won't have the engineering bits as well, he'll have the time to do all the stuff I was doing for Sandra as well.

So that frees me up to take over his position as Pipeline Technical and Regulatory Advisor. Woo!

So, since we're kinda switching jobs, it'll be easy to have a nice wide transition period. Infact the plan is to stretch it out over the entire month of September. By the end of September we'll be completely in our new positions, but it'll still be easy enough to consult eachother if we run into problems. Woo! And even though I wasn't involved in EVERYTHING Sandra did, I still have a pretty good understanding of it all, just from working around her for so long. And I know the regulations pretty well in that area.

So, I get that this is like - The most boring post ever, but I was excited and wanted to ramble. And what else is a blog for, if not excited rambling? I mean, REALLY.

And this afternoon I'm meeting with the IT guy that I'll be working really closely with in my new position. Here's the fun part - We used to work on the same floor, and I had a HUGE crush on him. Like, to the point that I got nervous around him and didn't know what to say or where to look. Teeheehee. I haven't seen him in a couple of years, so it'll be interesting to see if I still get the flutterings in my tummy when I see him. I'm sure I'll be fine - Realistically, he's too old for me.

Oooh, and though I didn't ask about money, Ryan said something about it likely being a pretty sweet raise. So - Yeeeeeeehaw! My God, is there a future for me yet, in this here industry?

I've gotta learn all new regulations, but that shouldn't be too difficult. I've printed off the guidelines I'll need to know, and I'll just carry them around with me and read them whenever I can, until I know them all. That's how I learned the last ones.

I'm switching offices - Switching floors. The office is pretty-much the same as my current one. A door, but no windows. Which is fine, I'd probably spend all day distracted by the weather if I had a window.

Hm... So, blogs with no pictures are boring, so lucky you - you get a picture of my office building. Woo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.