Monday, August 14, 2006

Metaphor

When I was about 16, I wrote a piece called 'Metaphor'. It was not much of a story, more like just a scene or maybe a poem or something. I added to it, bit-by-bit, over probably about 6 months. It was about a girl walking on the edge of a cliff by the ocean. She had long dark hair, a dirty white dress, and bare feet. It was a little melodramatic (16-year-old writing tends to be), but I still like the general idea of it. She symbolized me, and her journey was my life. Sometimes the rocks cut into her feet, and she thought she would fall. The wind symbolized authority - parents, teachers, society - Anyone who demanded anything of me was the wind. Of course when you're a teenager, you think that everyone wants you to fail. It wasn't entirely dark and depressive though. There was a big black bird with spikey feathers and blue eyes who came to play with her. He flew along with her, kept her company. He symbolized my boyfriend at the time. Also, there was the sun. The sun was my best friend, and she was my biggest comfort. The sun was warming and comforting and necessary for her survival. When my best friend went through tough times or withdrew into herself, the sun dimmed and the girl in the white dress got colder, and weaker.

Aaaaaanyhow, a few months ago I stumbled across a series of pictures of Amy Lee which remind me SO MUCH of my "metaphor". The setting, her costume, all of it. So of course these pictures have sentimental value to me, but I think they're quite beautiful regardless. I think Amy Lee is amazingly gorgeous (What? Me? Attracted to a woman with long dark hair? No WAY.), and her personal style tickles me too.

No comments: