Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Icy Blue

Brrrrrrr... It is FREEZING here. This morning it was -29 WITHOUT windchill. That's insane. But at least the sun is suppose to come out tomorrow - And I heard -1 on Thursday. Yaaaaaay!

I've been wearing skirts AT work, but wearing snowpants TO work. I am happy to have enough warm clothes to keep me from freezing on my commute. I mean, I could definitely go for a toque that doesn't make my forehead itchy, but really - if an itchy forehead is my biggest complaint in -29, I figure I'm doing pretty good.

My car has been starting, and not complaining too much. I never plugged it in last year, and didn't have any problems, but it was brand new AND (I think) a mild winter. So maybe I should start plugging it in this year... Maybe. Hey Joshamabosh - Do you plug your car in?

Today's a good day, because even though I'm exhausted, my brain still seems to be functioning at a decent level. I solved a few problems this morning that I thought were going to be HUGE issues. So... Hooray! Of course, I've always found that when it comes to regulatory bodies, when you fix one problem a few more usually pop up.

I'm getting braver at work though, too - which helps. There's a great deal of communication with the field, and mostly I just deal with the pretty high-level positions (so that I only need to contact 7 district superintendants, rather than 130 field operators). So there's been this shyness in me like, "This guy has been working with these pipelines for 20 years. Why the Hell should he give the time of day to some 24-year-old in Calgary, who's just learning about it all?" but I'm starting to find some strength in my voice.

It was really nerve-wracking at first, but I've found a lot of the field guys to be really helpful. Some of them still aren't responding well, but they got a HUGE amount of work to do, with a pretty short deadline - and my name was on it, so that's to be expected. I'm starting to feel better about telling them what to do, though. I spoke to one of the other AIAs (Asset Integrity Advisors) - A guy who's been doing this for YEARS. I explained to him that I realize I need to make sure these guys are following regulations, but when they tell me "this is the way it is" and it doesn't comply with the board, do I really have the authority to tell the guy to go back out there, and redo the operation correctly? Turns out I do. Sweeeeeeet. And in the few cases where I have had to stand my ground and say "Sorry, but you're mistaken. The regulations say this, therefore...", I've found I haven't had my head bitten off yet. Most guys are like, "Really? I interpretted that differently - but we'll go look at it again, and make it compliant."

Nice.

I am ridiculously busy, and working long hours - But I love it. I am feeling so much more appreciated, so much more... Important? I dunno. I love the responsibility, I love how hard I have to work. I love that I'm learning, and that as I'm learning I have to apply that new knowledge almost immediately.

Although, I will say... I found out something interesting yesterday. One of the other large oil companies (trying not to mention names - I don't know about liabilities, ya know?) is using the same database for their pipelines as we will be. We're still in the stages of gathering all the information to put INTO the database, and this other company has actually been using it for a year or so now. What's interesting is that they have 7 of me. My position is actually a 'team' or department over there. Ahahahahaaa... I joked that I was definitely worth 7 of "their" employees any day. Someone suggested my boss multiply my salary by 7. That'd be nice, though not terribly realistic.

Perhaps (slightly) more realistically, I had a co-worker pull me aside and say, "Y'know - if you were to request a raise, even a substantial one, they would be really hard-pressed not to give it to you. Seriously - tell them the new number, or you'll walk. You'll see. They can't afford to lose you."
Aaaaah, why do people put these thoughts in my head? The truth is, I really can't see myself giving my boss an ultimatum like that. I think ultimatums are very rarely called for. A little over-dramatic and self-centered or something... But a girl can dream can't she?

Truth is, I love my job and although I could always use a higher salary (couldn't we all), I do realize that I make a lot more than most people my age, with my level of education. So I really can't bitch. Yes, I'm house-poor, but that will all change in a mere 3 months.

My little sister is coming over to my house for dinner tonight, and I'm really excited. I haven't seen her in FAR too long (a month? Two?), and she hasn't been to my house in almost a year. She's bringing over spaghetti, and I'm supplying the salad and garlic toast. Sounds good to me! The only thing that kinda sucks is that my roommate wants to meet her, but it just so happens that he's going to see a play tonight. Bad timing? I'd say so. But that's okay, because I intend to have Brianne over more often in the future, so I'm sure they'll run into eachother eventually.

Aaaaaalright, well it's time for me to finish this up and head back to work. Ciao, Bellas.

1 comment:

Josh T said...

Sadly, ultimatums are typically a great way to lose your job. As solid a worker as I know you are, management tends to see one ultimatum as a precursor to another... sorta like the kid you give candy to so long as he will be good...

That said, I don't think you're in a situation that requires an ultimatum. But you certainly are in a situation to ask for a raise. Quite often, supervisors will wait until someone asks for it... just to see if they have reached a level of confidence within the company to justify the pay hike. So yeah... go for it... but no ultimatum required :-)

Keep warm!
Josh